|ORDER FORM||WHILE SUPPLIES LAST|
I. Who is eligible to participate?
A. Present residents of Mecklenburg Co.
B. Former residents of Mecklenburg Co.
C. Those with roots in Mecklenburg Co.
II. How much may I submit, and what is the
A. Each household is encouraged to submit 500 words of their family genealogy/history and one picture, AND . . .
B. If your ancestors were in Mecklenburg County by or before 1800, you may submit an additional 500 word Pioneer genealogy/history and another photograph.
C. Extra photos are $12.50. Double-wide or double-deep photos are also $12.50 additional.
III. What can I write?
1. Why and when they came to
2. Dates and locations of birth, mar-
riages, deaths and burials.
3. Family stories.
B. Yourself and your family.
1. Childhood, school days, and other
IV. Article format.
A. Double-space type or word processing on bond paper. We cannot accept articles which are typed in ALL CAPS. Upper and lower case must be used!
We will also accept text on diskettes, using MS Word or Word Perfect. Please include a printed hard copy.
B. Include at end of article:
1. Word count.
2. Sources, if available.
3. Name, address, and phone number of
4. Caption to appear with photograph
(see paragraph V.C.).
5. Index: Please list first, middle or
maiden names (in parentheses), then
last, typed on a separate sheet of
paper and stapled to your story.
V. Photograph directions.
Note: Do not submit original irreplaceable photos! We make every effort to return them, but cannot be responsible for loss/damage!
A. Types and size.
1. Glossy photos are best! Black and white are preferred, but we accept 35mm color and studio quality prints. We will accept .jpg or .tif photos on a separate floppy or CD. Please do not send one floppy or CD with multiple photos for multiple articles! Separate CDs or floppies for each Article! Please also send a glossy print of the photo.
2. The following are not acceptable:
Laser scans, Xerox® copies, nega-
tives or faded Polaroids.
3. Any size up to 8" x 10".
4. All photos will be reduced to one col-
umn - 2½" wide x 1¾" high, with stan-
dard cropping as a bust shot. You must
pay extra, as detailed in II.C., for larger sizes.
1. Place a return address label with tele-
phone number on the back.
2. Include stamped, self-addressed
1. Limited to 10 words or less.
2. Type at end of article.
VI. Topical articles (to be used at book committee discretion).
A. Histories of churches, clubs, and organizations.
1. Each allowed 250 words & one photo.
2. Additional photos see Paragraph II.C.
B. Communities and major topics.
(Ask committee for details.)
C. Military service biographical sketch.
1. Each allowed 100 words and 1 photo.
2. Additional photo; see Paragraph II.C.
VII. Writing assistance.
A. Contact committee members.
B. Attend our writing workshop.
A. Articles cannot harm or embarrass another individual.
B. No genealogical charts or tabular material can be used.
Please help prepare an every name index: List first, middle or maiden names (in parentheses), then last name, typed on a sep-arate sheet of paper & stapled to your story.
X. No email submissions. Sorry!
(Note: Genealogical charts and tabular material cannot be accepted. Stories must be flowing, narrative form.)